Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Art...and like fame...and stuff.


from The Real Cindy Sherman in Harpars Bazaar...

...Last spring, Sherman's Untitled #96 (above) sold for $3.9 million, then the highest price ever paid at auction for a photograph. She says she was gratified that a photograph of hers set an auction record but also not surprised. "I felt, well, it's about time," she says. "Not that I feel it's worth that much, but so much other photography by men has been hovering in that range. I have to say I'm competitive: 'Hey, what about me? I'm in that same realm of fame as those guys.'"

Rhein II by Andreas Gursky, now the most expensive photograph ever sold at $4.3m

from Why is Art so Damned Expensive? in Newsweek/TheDaily Beast...

...“If I can’t sell something, I just double the price.” That’s what Ernst Beyeler, the great Swiss dealer who helped found Art Basel, reportedly said. Some people actually prefer to pay more than makes sense. Zelizer explains that, in all walks of life, we treat the biggest sums differently, with special respect or even awe, than more everyday money. “I think very often the price paid for a work is the trophy itself,” says Arnold Glimcher an art dealer.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Website
Information

Indi Host said...

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

Newcool
Carefever

yanmaneee said...

balenciaga
balenciaga sneakers
cheap jordans
nfl jerseys
hermes belt
michael kors uk
air max
nike air vapormax
michael kors purses
curry 5

MiltonBaker said...

This really answered my problem, thank you!

Digitalocean.com
Penzu.com
Dzone.com