Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Eggleston, Album Art, Plagiarism

While loitering in Dublin's Road Records my eye was drawn to the new Spoon record 'Transference'. It was pointed out to me that it was an Eggleston shot on the cover and my brain gave a little smile of recognition that once again the southern master of the mundane had succeeded in catching my attention.

Spoon/Transference. Image: William Eggleston, Sumner, Mississippi, 1970

Eggleston's work is ever popular among musicians for album artwork and just as I thought it would make a interesting post to gather them all here on Milky Blacks, up pops the blogosphere and gazumps me. Shazaam!
This post by Blake Andrews has a run down of all of the Eggleston related artwork that he could dig up and discusses the images used. Kudos to Blake for great minds thinking alike! I'm posting the records he dug up below.

Why do Eggleston pictures affect us so?

They don't tell us what to think I guess...

They just are.


Radio City, Big Star, 1974

Alex Chilton, Like Flies on Sherbert, 1979

Big Star, Live at Missouri University, 1993

Gimmer Nicholson, Christopher Idylls, 1968/1994

Green on Red, Here Come the Snakes, 1989

Primal Scream, Give Out But Don't Give Up, 1994

Primal Scream, Country Girl, 2006

Primal Scream, Dolls, 2006

Robin Holcomb, The Big Time, 2002

Jimmy Eat World, Bleed American, 2001


Paramount Pictures 90th Anniversary Memorable Songs, 2002

The Derek Trucks Band, Soul Serenade, 2003

Chuck Prophet, Age of Miracles, 2004

Silver Jews, Tanglewood Numbers, 2005

Joanna Newsom and the Y Street Bank EP, 2007

3 comments:

Lacy Wesley said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website. Information Information Information

Unknown said...

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

Click Here
Soundcloud.com

ekoelmer said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Information
Visit Site